Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

For some weeks, I have had several friends (mostly non-Episcopalians surprisingly) wanting me to voice an opinion on this Connecticut 6 (sounds like a fleabag motel) business. If you are unfamiliar with this fiasco, for lack of a better term, let me describe it as best as I understand it. There is so much spin going on (from both sides I might add) that I have been having trouble discerning fact from fiction.

As I understand the situation, the Rt. Rev. Andrew Smith is the Bishop of Connecticut. Well, at least he has a pointy hat, I do not think he is particularly acting like one. Likewise, as I understand, there are Six rectors of churches (at least they have collars, but likewise are not acting like it) that have applied for DEPO oversight (i.e. another Bishop to oversee them.)

The best way I know how to describe the hoohah is as follows: The Feloniously Rev. Smith is trying to defrock the Superciliously Reverend Rectors. Darth Smith claims they have abandoned communion and has shadily acted to remove them. The rectors are claiming persecution because they are orthodox, innocent victim/pawns of the ever increasing if heinously amorphous "Revisionist Agenda." (I am fairly conservative myself, and even I am still trying to figure out what that is.)

As Paul said, "when I was a child, I acted like a child, I reasoned like a child...but when I became a man, I put away childish things." Christ said to be childlike, not childish. Sarcasm aside, if you want my advice, GROW UP. That goes for everybody. If you don't like Bishops, become Presbyterian. If you don't like conservatives, reread your mantra about inclusion. I see no manifestation of Christ's love in any of this by anyone involved.

Comments

Ryan said…
--If you don't like conservatives, reread your mantra about inclusion.--

This is one of the biggest sticking points for me.

-R
Kyle said…
No doubt.
Jane Ellen+ said…
I am not generally overfond of sarcasm. That aside, this may be the most cogent comment I've heard on the whole mess.

I have quoted the last paragraph of this post (with due credit given) here, in a dustup that has appeared on my blog on this issue. Thank you for the expression.
DBW said…
Up until yesterday, I had been strongly on the side of those silly priests... now, I'm on nobody's side. What we have here is a hair-raising catfight-- a massive power struggle. And people need to step back and breethe. Its not easy to do, but the whole thing has turned into a pissing contest, and it has nothing to do with the real work of the church.
Anonymous said…
http://cluelesschristian.classicalanglican.net/?p=65

Full comment on my blog
Shari,

Your blog entry on this was quite interesting. I appreciate you referencing me.
Lest, as you suggest on your post, lump me in with Progressives (I cringe at the very insinuation), I would agree with you if the rectors are indeed innocent victims, I would be the first to tell them to thumb their nose of the episcopate.
However, the fact that DEPO was requested is both a smack in the face of the bishop and suggests that there is some serious personal and professional issues going on well before this whole Connecticutgate bid'ness.
I guess I just do not understand the whole concept of DEPO. Its trying to have your cake (keep episcopates) and eat it too (only as long as you can agree). TO me, DEPO has the whole aura of a bandaid on bloody gangrenous wound. If you are applying for DEPO, THE WHOLE SYSTEM HAS ALREADY FAILED.
Put your money where your mouth is and just walk down the street to the Presbyterian church. I do not think there is anything wrong with that if it is indeed as bad as the Connecticut 6 is making it out to be. Anglicanism is not the only game in town. That's what being a Protestant is all about.
Anonymous said…
Actually swam the Tiber 2 years ago. (But parts of my soul remain Anglican).

I'm sorry I insulted you with the word "progressive"

Popular posts from this blog

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time