Toy Story 4

I have to admit that when I heard that the Toy Story franchise was going to launch a fourth movie back last year, my initial reaction was, shall we say, not enthusiastic. Very rarely when a series of movies gets to the third sequel or later, is there really anything new to be had other than nostalgia and bad script writing.

Case in point: Star Wars. The original trilogy was classic. The prequels were fair. I have never been a complete basher of the prequels because at least they generally had an overarching story arc from a single creator. Were they as good as the originals? No. But neither where they complete trash. The newest ones however are not even of that quality. Episode 7 had possibilities, and I generally didn't loathe it. Episode 8 was just garbage. I realize some people liked it, but Luke Skywalker as a disillusioned, crazy old man on an island drinking blue milkshakes from a walrus just did not work for me.

Having seen all of the Toy Story films in the theater, I did not want to break the streak. And I likewise got to take my daughter who is about the right age to enjoy a Toy Story film without rolling her eyes and being a general teenage buzzkill who hates everything. I did not have high expectations, but I was willing to give it a try.

I never in a million years thought I would be writing this review. I was fully prepared to make jokes like Toy Story 4: Buzz needs more money. To my abject surprise and delight, and I still can't believe I am writing this, Toy Story 4 might actually be my favorite of the franchise. I can honestly say I did not see that coming.

There are several things to like about the film. There's a pleasant reintroduction of characters that were missing from Toy Story 3 along with some introduction of some new characters that I think added to the cast. (Let the Forkie character grow on you.) The plot was good, and the dialogue was excellent.

What astounded me (minor spoiler alert) what's the very strong Christ allegory that was found in the Woody character in the film. He basically offers his life or voice box of his own free will to set the captive free. By this self-sacrificial act, he not only accomplishes this but manages to redeem the bad guy in the film, pull up to that point was a rather odious character.

The sequence in particular has an allegory of the harrowing of hell and later on there is not only the passing on of apostolic succession but also a physical Ascension scene. While not a one-to-one Aslan on the stone table allegory, it is extremely strong. How they were able to get this pass the politically correct Hollywood censors, I will never know, but kudos for pulling it off.

Like I said, this might be my favorite one of Toy Story franchise. I need to go back and watch the first one again as I haven't largely seen it since the late 90s. But I can clearly state that it is better than the second and third Toy Story. The third Toy story, while it wrapped up the original trilogy well, was a tearjerker. I remember being trapped in a movie theater with a bunch of 6 to 8 year olds crying their eyes out which was quite possibly the worst movie experience I have ever experienced since napping through the middle of Titanic. (I still do not know to this day what happened in the hour in the middle of that film.)

Do check out Toy Story 4. If you were like me, you will be pleasantly surprised. Just when you think Hollywood can't do anything original with established material, they prove you wrong.

I'm looking at you, Rogue One.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time