For all things, there is a season

    A few days ago, one of the intellectual geniuses in the rogue's gallery we have running for US President currently was attempting to make some political point. The Good Lord only knows what the point was supposed to be, but this candidate kept trying to quote scripture from the "Book of Ecclesiasticks." The media largely papered over the idiotic comment (probably because basic Bible knowledge among members of the press is virtually zero), but it was somewhat amusing in that this candidate both quoted the passage wrong, and even got the name of the book incorrect, as there is no such book. (For those scoring at home, it is the Book of Ecclesiastes-although a book literally meaning the Church Sticks would indeed be a marvelous addition to the canon.)

    Never the less, there is a marvelous passage from the Book of Ecclesiastes, that reads in the good ole King Jimmy Version thusly:

Chapter 3 

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

    For a book that is noted for its remarkable use of sarcasm, it also has some of the most lyrical and memorable lines of poetry in the entire Bible outside of the Psalms. The Book has a very interesting take on human's relationship to time. The nature of history and nature itself is to move in cycles. The whole of creation is cyclical, much like the planting and harvesting of the fields. All events, according to the writer known only as "The Preacher" are predictable and unchangeable. Just as life without the Sun has no meaning or purpose: the wise man and the man who does not study wisdom will both die and be forgotten. Humans should be reverent and fear God, but in this life it is best to pray and simply enjoy God's gifts. In other words, for all things, there is a season.

    I know find myself, provided I live to a ripe old age, in the middle of my life. I am neither old nor young. I am not in the spring of my youth, nor am I in the fall or winter. I am in the summer of my life. The rays of the sun of time have begun to show up slightly in my reflection in the mirror. I do not have nearly as much hair on the top of my head as once I did. I see some white hairs peeking out from my beard that once were red. While I am not like some of my school age friends who now have fully white Santa-like beards, my white hairs are not many (at least not yet) but there are a few if you look. For all things there is a season-beards with no white hairs being one such season.

    As many of you know, I have tried for a decade to find some professional place in the Catholic Church, having once been Anglican clergy. I have knocked on every door possible, and at long last, the final door has slammed on my fingers. I realize now that I will never be clergy again. Many are called but few are chosen. After many prayers, tears, and stabbings in my back by the Church, I have come to the realization that I am in the many and not the few. I have used up all my cards and been dealt out of the Ordination game by my Catholic diocese for, of all things, standing up and advocating for good, sound preaching in Catholic homiletics. 

    For the last half decade, I have been trying to offer my services to a local parish as an office administrator. They let me keep the books and occasionally teach an Adult education class, but that's really about it. I feel my talents are largely wasted. As such, I am about to embark on a new journey in my professional life, one that will not necessarily involve the Church in any way. I am not at liberty yet to divulge what that will be, but I am hoping soon, and very soon, that information will be forthcoming.

    For all things, there is a season. A new season is about to dawn for me.
I ask, of your charity, to please pray for me in the coming weeks.        


    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet