New Links for Doberman Rescue

I have rather shamelessly included some non-religious links onto my blog. However, it is something close to my heart. I (and my family as well) have for several years been active in supporting (and helping out when possible) Doberman rescue societies. These societies generally take in previously abused and neglected Doberman dogs, almost always in conjunction with local animal shelters. Occasionally they deal directly with the public in taking in strays/abandoned dogs, but that's usually the exception to the rule. I was involved in helping transport a Doberman rescue this weekend and the Illinois chapter people asked me if I would put a link to their site on my blog. I thought it was the least I could do.

I have personally been involved in all three of the operations I am providing links for (East Tennessee, Nebraska, Illinois). My family has personally adopted Dobermans from the East Tennessee Chapter, and I have personally done volunteer work for the other two chapters. I will personally speak for the good work these places do, most often completely paid for out of their own pocket. I am also including a link to the Metro Atlanta chapter. I have never personally been involved with that one, but my grandfather has adopted from them in the past, and he was pleased. The other two links I am including is the Doberman Pinscher Club of America's national rescue website and a link to a FAQ regarding general dog rescue operations.

Dobermans are really fabulous dogs, and their abuse is something that really sets me off. You have to train them to be mean and agressive. They are usually sweet by temperament, but that is not to say that they do not require a firm hand when they hit their adolescent period. My family has always tried to adopt adult dogs from places like this, and we have never had a bad experience. If you think these places are happy to give up a doberman to whomever walks off the street with an interest in adopting them, you are sorely mistaken. The process is not unlike adopting a child, you have to have a criminal background check, give references, have a house inspection, etc. Only if you are a sane and responsible person (and it is a painless process if you are such a person) will rescue agencies let you adopt a dog. If you are interested in adopting or helping out one of these great rescue societies, please contact them. I know they always need the help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time