Christmas: The Anglo-Methodist Edition

We alternate when I am home for Christmas as to what church we go to Christmas services. Last year, we went to St. James' Episcopal; so, this year we ended up at my mother's Methodist church for both the Christmas Eve and Christmas day services. I learned something astounding...Methodist ministers can, in fact, preach sermons less than 10 minutes. I was astounded. I've been to Rite I no frills Episcopal services that were not that short.

The other interesting thing was that the Baptist Mega Church wannabe across the street did not apparently have services. I find that just a bizarre phenomenon, personally. Its the same people who picket and hand out leaflets about secular culture taking the Christ out of Christmas. I guess they can't be bothered with the fact that they are taking the mas out of Christmas.

I then, due to the unseasonably short Methodist sermon, got home with enough time before dinner to putter with the new gadgets I got for Christmas. In short order I managed to test my new beard trimmer, which apparently works a little too well. I accidently set the clip setting too short and accidently shaved off my goatee. Oh, the horror! Luckily, I tend to have a 5 o'clock shadow by noon, so my goatee will be back in about 3 days. (Anglo-hobbits have this genetic trait, so I am told.) I then tinkered with my digital camera, having to read the directions just to try to figure out how to turn the thing on. For my trouble, I ended up with a nice, if somewhat accidental, picture of my (now neatly trimmed) nose hair that I will not post here.

With that bit of half hour mayhem, we sat down, clean shaven, to Christmas dinner: cherry glazed goose and all the fixings. Yum yum. At least the dinner was Anglican...God bless us, every one!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time