NBC cancels Book of Daniel

Read about it here.

This has been an interesting phenomenon to watch here at seminary. The show, if you don't know anything about it, is about a wigged out pill popping Episcopal priest whose family is screwed up and whose bishop is having an affair with another bishop. I can go on, but I trust you get the drift of this soap opera.

The last few serious nighttime dramas I followed for a while were The West Wing and The Practice. I finally turned those off too; I have no patience for soap operas or shows that become such. In my defense, I only watched about 15 minutes of the first episode just to see what all the hoohah was about. I got as far as Daniel having a conversation with Jesus in the car, at which point I turned it off.

I do not generally tend to get offended by stuff unless it is just way over the line. I am sort of undecided whether Daniel was, in fact, over the line. Junk with this amount of ridiculous stereotyping and obvious soap opera quality just does not do anything for me. People around here seemed to be tauting a party slogan with "I don't think it was offensive." I guess my response would be: what would it take for you to be offended? When Hollywood of all places starts dictating what Jesus is saying and attempting to make money off of it, that's just wrong. If this show had been about and had as much stereotyping about a black pastor in a Baptist church, there would have been hell to pay.

I read last night that Book of Daniel was cancelled. I can't say I will lose any sleep over it. Good riddance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time