Sweat Shop Crucifixes

I was in a church book shop today (not the one here at Seabury), and I came across a truly interesting phenomenon. The shop had a nice selection of crucifixes that I was examining, and an ethical problem presented itself.

First, the crosses were on sale, which I might add was why they caught my attention. Perhaps I practice a bargain-based hermeneutic of caveat solicitor (Let the seller beware). But I think there is just something fundamentally wrong about putting Jesus on sale. Talk about cheap grace...

I got to looking further at the one crucifix I was contemplating buying. It said, "Made in China." So, not only are we putting Jesus on sale, we are putting a Jesus-on-the-cross-made-in-a-sweat-shop on sale. I began thinking about what a Messiah who would want such a thing made about him would look like and say. Thanks to my picture editing program, here is what I came up with...

















Dies iræ, dies illa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time