A Sad Day

For those of us who grew up on reruns of The Andy Griffith Show and A Christmas Story, yesterday saw the passing of two great actors. Don Knotts, "I'm Deputy Barney Fife and I'm as good a man as any" and Darren McGavin, the perfect 1940's grumpy dad from A Christmas Story. I think McGavin had some of the best one liners in history in that movie: "Do you know what this leg is?...It's a lamp! Would you look at that?! Would you look at that?!?! What a great lamp!" and (after the neighbor's dog's ear got stuck in the door) "Serves ya right! Ya smelly buggers!"

I find it ironic that both men who were about the same age and gave iconic performances died on the same day. I can still watch reruns of either of those classics and still laugh like the first time I saw them. Classic, situational comedy is hard to come by these days. Most comedy shows and movies have gravitated more to acerbic one-liner humor that is really only good for one viewing and does not have a lot of rerun value.

In fact, I haven't seen a funny sitcom on TV in years that has interested me all that much. I think Home Improvement was about the last sitcom I watched with any regularity. A lot of people liked Seinfeld, which I never could get into, the Soup Nazi notwithstanding. You can get a fairly intelligent, situational humor movie from time to time. Occasionally you will get a gem like Waking Ned Devine, a film that came out a few years ago that was hysterical.

In honor of Don Knotts and Darren McGavin, I'm busting open a jar of my mother's homemade pickles. Luckily, they aren't one of Aunt Bea's kerosine cucumbers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time