My Day as a Fake Priest

And just when I thought seminary was weird...it just got weirder. I spent what felt like the entire day being a fake priest.

Hey, it wasn't my idea...

First, I had to "preside" at an East facing mass in my Practicum for liturgical celebration class, which we call "play church." Essentially we get assigned services and practice doing liturgical roles in the Seabury chapel. It was actually been a pretty interesting experience. I even went out of my way to needle a certain person by wearing a fiddle back chasable, amice, and biretta, all the while making a swipe at postmodernity in the sermon.

It was a beautiful thing...

Then, as fate would have it, I went across the street for my night class on marital counseling and ended up having to take my turn as a pastoral counselor to an alcoholic couple in the role play vignette.

I've just spent my day being a fake priest and survived. Maybe I can do this priest thing after all.

Comments

Every time you celebrate mass without a maniple, God kills a kitten. Who knows what happens with versus populus celebrations of the mass... :)

Was the fiddleback at the seminary, or did you borrow from St Paul's? I love fiddlebacks...
Are you kidding? I had to borrow it from St. Paul's. BYOC I guess. They do have maniples actually at Seabury but they are locked up in the bottom drawer.

If its an East Facing mass, I like fiddlebacks because all the artwork is on the back. They really don't make a lot of sense if the priest is facing the people, as that defeats the purpose.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time