Advent is coming!

Christ the King Sunday is over. As much as I like Christ the King (there's such jolly good hymns on that Sunday), that means Advent is coming!

I just love Advent.

The liturgical green of ordinary time is finally put away for a good while. I like Ordinary time green, but it is up for half the year and it gets old. What we need is another mini-liturgical season in the middle of Ordinary time. I am not in charge of such things, so I guess I have to stick it out with the green.

Advent is purple, although a lot of churches are increasingly using a darker (royal) blue to differentiate it from Lent, although Lent is technically violet. I sort of like the Advent purple myself as Royal Blue is technically reserved for Christ the King. Although most churches don't have the money for a vestment set that is only used on one Sunday a year, white has become the standard for Christ the King. Likewise, a brighter blue is reserved for Our Lady.

I had to get the Advent wreath together today. That meant cleaning off the candle tapers (still waxy from last Advent. I was not happy about that because the wax made the metal start to oxidize. (note to self: have come to Jesus meeting conversation with Altar Guild about this.)

I also had to go to the Church Supply place and get a fresh batch of Advent Candles. (It's a Catholic store, so I didn't get asked if I wanted blue Advent candles.) This store is known around the office as "Holy Hardware." Icons, crucifixes, incense, candles, rosaries: they have it all (Think Anglo-catholic heaven).

We also had to work on the bulletin. Advent hymns are great too. Now I am humming "Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel!"

I love Advent. (Now I am just getting paid to do it.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time