Cranberry Sauce

I am amazed at how many people have never had real cranberry sauce. I guess they grew up eating that cranberry Jell-o stuff from the can. I have never understood this, considering how easy it is to make. I have had more than one person ask me for my recipe.

Cranberry Sauce
(yield: about 2 1/4 Cups of sauce)

1 to 1.5 Cup(s) Sugar
1 Cup Water
4 Cups Cranberries (This is one 12-ounce package preferably fresh, but frozen will work)
1 to 2 Cinammon sticks
Optional: Pecans, orange peel, raisins, currants, blueberries, nutmeg, allspice

Wash and pick over berries. Bring 1 cup sugar and water to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add cranberries and cinnamon sticks, return to boil.

Reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes until cranberries burst. While simmering, taste to see if it needs more sugar. This is to your taste. If you want to add a pint of fresh blueberries, no additional sugar will be needed. (I don't tend to use the blueberries because they turn the sauce a slightly bluish color).

At this point, add all optional ingredients desired. (I usually add about a 1/2 cup loosely chopped pecans and 1/2 cup or so assorted dried raisins.I don't personally add nutmeg or allspice. Again, this is to taste.) Stir it up gently.

Remove from heat, cool to room temperature. Sauce thickens as it cools. I prefer to serve it a bit on the warm side after it has thickened a bit, but some people prefer it chilled in the refrigerator before serving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time