Football Turmoil

Well, Tom Osborne (the interim athletic director) pulled the plug on the Nebraska football coach this morning. I can't say I blame him. Callahan was a nice guy, but he just was not the right fit at a place like Nebraska, a place that is fanatically devoted to the football team. 2 losing seasons out of 4 at a place that hadn't had a losing season in decades.

Still, I do feel a bit sorry for Callahan a bit. I think a coach should get at least 5 years because it takes that long to get a group of players in place that you completely recruited and trained all 4 years. The 4th year, your seniors are largely people your predecessor recruited.

That having been said, I think Callahan ultimately dug his own grave in terms of recruits. He kept being lauded as this recruiting guru with top 5 recruiting classes every year. With the nasty losing streak this year due to a defense that apparently lacked the ability to tackle 4 year olds carrying inflatable beach balls, he recruiting just couldn't save him, especially after this debacle of a season.

I can also think of about 3 million other reasons I don't feel all that sorry for Callahan, because he had a guaranteed contract.

Bo Pelini and Turner Gill are the names that stand out as potential replacements. I think Bo Pelini would be my pick because he has studied under some incredibly good head coaches. I don't know that much about Turner Gill other than his football skills as a player. He's the current coach at the University of Buffalo. I personally think he's a bit young to be taking over as a head coach, but he does have the Nebraska connection.

We will see...the Nebraska coaching carousel continues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time