Ooh...a retreat

My boss had the foresight, when I was negotiating my contract with my current parish, to have a week long retreat worked in that was not part of "vacation" weeks. Given my marriage and ordination the priesthood in the last year, I have yet had time to take advantage of this option.

I formally put in my request for retreat time, and I must say I cleverly timed it so that the boss could look at it and approve it right before he went on his retreat. I doubt he would have turned me down, seeing as I scheduled it on a week when I was not a presider or preacher on the preaching rota. At this point, the retreat will be over two months away, but I am looking forward to it now, nonetheless.

I was not sure exactly where I would go for my spiritual retreat. There is a fine monastery up in Schyuler, Nebraska, that I have been to before. (Great retreat center if you are in the neighborhood and looking for something like that.) I wanted to try something new this time, however.

Once upon a time, I was discerning if I was called to become a monk. Obviously, since I am happily married that was not the case. But I have always enjoyed spending time at monasteries. The Society of St. John the Evangelist in Boston is a fabulous place, but that's a little far a field with gas and airline prices what they are these days.

I discovered (Google is a wonderful thing) that there is a rather sizable Abbey between Watertown and Sisseton, South Dakota. I had been considering taking a few days off to go up to the Sisseton area as it is beautiful country up there. I was thrilled to learn there was an Abbey there that had both a retreat house and a heritage, both of which look really nice.

The name of it is Blue Cloud Abbey. I am looking forward to going to it, and will give you a report when I get back.

Only 2 months or so, but who's counting?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time