Coolest Monastic Job Ever

The monastery I am staying at is up on a hill overlooking two lakes, green fields, and small wooded areas. I was sitting on a bench near the front of the monastery chapel looking down into this big field. I saw one of the brothers walking at the very far end of the field.

He was far away and I did not have my glasses, so I could not tell exactly what he was doing. He appeared of have something rather large on his arm. As I watched, he raised his arm up and the large object preceeded to fly up in the air. It was a hawk!

This particular monk, it turns out, was the monastery falconer. He apparently rehabilitated birds of prey that people from the surrounding community bring to him. His current project is apparently a hawk that hurt its wing. The monk was teaching it how to fly again so that it can eventually be released back into the wild.

A monastic falconer...now that's just awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time