Blizzards

So I learned what a blizzard was this weekend. Being a Southern boy, I had always assumed it was just a snow storm with a lot of snow.

Wrong.

A blizzard is when its heavily snowing and the heavy wind makes the snow blow sideways. Think sandstorm with snow causing near or complete white out conditions.

I was up in South Dakota finalizing my new job in Brookings and letting my wife see the town and the rectory. Despite the blizzard, I took the job. Most of the natives were even taken aback by the blizzard and admitted that was about as bad as it got.


We survived. I think it will be fun. Seems like a good congregation of people who are friendly and good cooks to boot. I am looking forward to it.

That is a beautiful section of the country. Most people think of South Dakota and think of Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills in the western part of the state. They might also think of the Badlands, but few give much thought to the eastern part of the state. There are a lot of lakes and rolls bluffs and such, especially north of Watertown near Blue Cloud Abbey and Sisseton.

I think it will be fun. Do come and visit at least in the summer.

Comments

Jane Ellen+ said…
Congratulations, and blessings on your new adventure! I have an old friend or two over that way, so I hear good things about the diocese. When do you start?

(btw, I did wander over to look at your new church's website, and saw lots of html code-- their frames are broken, I think. Might could mention that to somebody over there.)
Yes, I am aware of the HTML issue. I think they were waiting for the new priest to be called before revamping it totally. I think I may ask to take that over as I know all about HTML.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time