Dog 'n Pony Shows

For those of you who are not in the know, the Diocese of South Dakota is in the middle of a bishop's election. The 4 candidates, which can be read about here in the current edition of the Church News (required PDF reader), are being ferreted about this week to several places in the diocese in what we are calling "Walkabouts," otherwise derogatorily known as Dog 'n Pony shows. (If you have ever been to one, you know why.)

The candidates are taken to various places for question and answer sessions with the folks in the region. It kicked off at the Cathedral in Sioux Falls on Wednesday evening for three hours. I had a continuing education class early in the day for 4 hours; so, needless to say I was really tired of listening to people talk by the end of that 14 hours day.

Overall, I thought the Q and A session covered a lot of ground. There were some issues I would have liked to have seen discussed, but given the time constraints, I think they got to as many pertinent questions as possible. I, for one, would not have wanted to stay any longer, as it was 10 PM by the time it was all over, and my attention span was pretty much shot by that point.

The entire session was filmed, so if anyone wants to see it, let me know. One of my parishioners was the tech guy, so I can have extra DVD's made as necessary.

There are some fine candidates on this slate. Do pray for South Dakota as we elect our next bishop at the convention next weekend. Hopefully I will get to go if baby cooperates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time