Thought for the Day

I was digging around in the church sacristy, which I am notorious for doing, and came across an old King James Bible. Pasted on the inside cover was a now yellowing newspaper clipping with the following quote. The clipping is undated and does not attribute the saying to anyone in particular. I ran across it the other day and cannot get the words out of my mind.

See what you think:

"To say I don't need the church is mere bravado; I needed it when my father died; I needed it when we were married, and when our babies were taken from us, and I shall need it again sooner or later, and need it badly. I am in good health now, and I could, I suppose, get along very nicely for a time without a clergyman, or choir, or even prayer; but what sort of a man is he who scorns and neglects and despises his best friend until his hour of tribulation?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time