One thing I have learned

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, I have a plot at the community garden here in Brookings. This year was largely an experiment, as I have never had to plant anything garden wise this far north.

One thing I am learning about weather and planting in South Dakota climates is the need to start with seedlings. Other than lettuce and greens which grow about anywhere, I have not had hardly anything come up from seed.

The window of opportunity for planting from seeds is very narrow. There is frost danger until mid-May at least, and by June 1st, there has already been 2 days in the 90's. Neither of which is really good for growing from seed.

Starting indoors and then translating the seedlings is apparently the way to go in this climate. I'll know better next year.

Comments

Jane Ellen+ said…
I agree-- having starts to put in the ground is the best option. If you're going to grow your own, I'd also suggest investing in a grow light. You're only a little further south than I am, and I find it's really helpful.
Next year I think I will. I know better now.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time