I admit, I was dubious

So, I finally rented the Prequel to Star Trek that came out in theaters back in May. I had intended to go see it then, but it was in the Brookings theater the week my daughter was born. Needless to say, I had my hands full then and missed it.

I do have to give it a few knocks for logical timeline problems. There is a time traveling schtick in the plot, so as the original Spock (Leonard Nimoy) can make a cameo. That actually worked well as a plot device, believe it or not. But I will be interested to see how they fix these inconsistencies in the coming prequel sequel. I mean, come on, they blew up Vulcan. What's that about?

I also thought the villain in this movie needed some work. He was one of the few in the cast that did not do a particularly good acting job. I thought he came off as wooden and not that particularly scary. He was creepy, but only in the weird-guy-that-stares-at-you-for-hours-on-the-Greyhound-bus-trip kind of creepy. He was not very compelling in my opinion.

I do have to give a thumbs up to the prequel incorporating the Captain Pike character from the original series pilot, which was later retooled into one of my favorite original Star Trek series episodes called "The Menagerie." I liked Captain Pike, and that was good to see him get a bigger place in the Star Trek canon.

I am usually dubious of prequels. (I'm looking at you, JarJar Binks!) I was particularly dubious of the Star Trek movie, as they had basically an all new, younger cast playing the classic Star Trek characters of Kirk, Spock, Scottie, et al.

I stand corrected. That turned out to be was one of the best Star Trek movies. I still think it's no match for Wrath of Khan, but it certainly is in the top 3. I need to go back and watch Star Trek: First Contact again, before I definitively list it in the top 2.

Not a bad Trek flick. The Archer gives it 3 and a half out of 5 arrows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time