Just Not Into This Year

Today is the first major kickoff day for the NCAA football season. Usually I am all a quiver and have made several prognostications about the upcoming season. With all the off-season hoopty-doo with conference realignment and the unbridled display of sheer avarice and greed on just about everybody's part in big time college football, I have to admit college football this year is not all that appealing. I had held out naive hope over the years that college football was not solely about the money.

With the off season such as it was, it left a very bad taste in my mouth that is not liable to go away in the near future. Perhaps at some point in the future, I may return to commenting on college football, but I frankly do not care right now.

There might be one possible exception in the new coach at Tennessee, who I really like as a person. He seems to actually have class. I'd expect nothing less from a Dooley. Sadly, I think he is going to have his hands full for the next two to three years, fixing the complete mess his predecessor left. I do wish him well. If I do watch a major college football game this year, it will likely be a Tennessee game.

I may take up commenting on Division II or I-AA (I refuse to call it the Bowl Sub Division or whatever ridiculous acronym they use now) football, since I am an alum of a Div II school and the SDSU Jackrabbits are right up the street.

Time will tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time