September 1st...

Today is September 1st, and it is hard for me to believe. The stores are already packed with Halloween stuff. I am still waiting for the day when I start seeing Christmas stuff on September 1st, but that's a separate issue.

I think I am still adapting to weather on the Northern Plains. There were only a very small number of days this summer that actually felt summer-ish to this Southern boy. I don't think it ever really got really hot, at least what I would call hot. There were a few days that were close, but I never stuck to my car seat because of humidity. Unless that happens, it feels like several months of late spring.

Not that I'm complaining. Its nice not to have exorbitant Air Conditioning bills in the summer. I just dread the fact that there may be snow in the next month. It snowed the first week of October last year if I recall, as it froze all the leaves off the trees before they peeked.

The Farmer's Almanac said we are suppose to have a milder winter this year. Of course, everyone was saying that last year because of El Nino, or some such thing, but we had a winter where every state had snow except Hawaii. It was truly fascinating to listen to the weathermen trying to explain why they blew it so badly because no one was really taking any responsibility for the predictions. In fact, some meteorologists I heard even went so far as to insult people's intelligences with bizarre claims that it wasn't really as cold as it seemed, despite the pictures of snow on Floridian orange crops.

Let's hope they get that prediction right this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time