For Martin Luther King, Jr. Day



This is a musical take on MLK's speech. Something different to contemplate.

Sadly, I grew up in the state King was shot, and I don't think I ever got a day off from school for MLK day.

Here is the full speech, which if you have never listened to in its entirety is well worth the time.



And now, a scant 8 years later, compare that with his last speech before his death. His face and voice appear to have aged 25 years:



A lot of clergy talk about being prophetic, but true prophecy usually involves something like this: "I've seen the promise land, I may not get there with you..."

Not too many Christians I know would be willing to be that kind of prophetic, if it meant giving up your cushy job in the Burbs in exchange for a bullet.

Food for thought today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time