I don't know what to make of this article...

The article from Christianity Today is here.

It is certainly disturbing behavior, but I have to admit I have trouble getting my brain around the very notion of the cutting/self-mutilation fad that is going on amongst teenagers today. The whole concept is so foreign to my brain; even as a teenager I feel confident in saying I wouldn't have thought that was remotely cool. I do always try to empathize with people and try not to be judgmental and all. We all have problems we battle, but this is just so strange to me that I have trouble even empathizing with people who do it because it seems so illogical and disgusting to me.

I just don't know what to make of this article...

Comments

Mr. Mcgranor said…
They are trying to make it piety. Self-mutilation started with Generation X. Just another example of post counterculture-popular culture and why it should not be in church. The postmodern church has gotten worldly written all over it. A Christain psychologist would do good by analyzing it.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time