A&M to the SEC

So, Texas A & M are apparently headed to the South Eastern Conference. I suppose they were tired of being the red headed step child to the University of Texas. I think that is obviously a good pick up for the SEC. A&M fans were always my favorite fans that would come and visit when I was helping do tailgate parties at St. Mark's when I was still living in Lincoln. They were always the nicest and most well behaved fans, and they were very Southern culturally, i.e. God, Guns, and Football. I think they will fit right into the Southeastern Conference.

That having been said, I am still not a big fan of this whole money grubbing, power grab conference realignment scheme going on in big time college football. I still can't root for Nebraska, as I just can't root for a Big Ten team. That move was all about the money, and I have no doubt that the A&M move is the same. At least A&M plays Arkansas on a regular basis (and its usually a good game.) To my knowledge, Nebraska has never played a Big Ten team in the regular season in football on any sort of regular basis. Culturally, Nebraska is so not a Big Ten team.

But, that is all water under the bridge now. I think the Big XII does not have anyone to blame but Texas, which still pretty much runs the league and gets the most revenue. While I am not happy with what Nebraska, A&M, or Colorado did, at least I can somewhat understand it. I am just afraid that these regional conferences will simply implode and we end up with this bizarre Super-conferences that take up half or more of the United States.

This is another reason I stick to baseball these days, though the rumors of Major League Baseball adding a second wild card are distressing, all for the sake of money.

Sigh...you just can't escape the dollar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time