For the Feast Day of Richard Hooker

As a break from my regular series of Blessings and Curses, I pause to remember Richard Hooker, who is probably the closest thing Anglicans have to a premiere theologian. Before my colleagues start pontificating on Hooker's Three Legged Stool (which is an Anglican urban legend), I wrote a series on Understanding Richard Hooker a while back:

Part I: Understanding Richard Hooker's World
Part II: Richard Hooker and Political Theory
Part III: Richard Hooker and Laws
Part IV: Richard Hooker and Current Dilemmas
Part V: Richard Hooker and Specific Teachings

And for kicks, here is my favorite quote from Richard Hooker:

"Love is represented as the fulfilling of the law,--a creature's perfection. All other graces, all divine dispensations, contribute to this, and are lost in it as in a heaven. It expels the dross of our nature; it overcomes sorrow; it is the full joy of our Lord."

-Anglican Theologian Richard Hooker, "On Love."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time