Oh...a rookie!

I just received a phone call from a telemarketer. I can usually tell it's a telemarketer when some weird area code comes up on the caller ID. I probably should not do this, but I like to play with telemarketers' minds. Nothing bizarre or grotesque, I just like to have a little fun. I am on the national Do Not Call list, so when I get a telemarketer call, I really have little sympathy for them, particularly if they are politicians.

For some reason, I just got the following call and hilarity ensues:

Me: Hello?
[The Awkward Pause while the Computer dialer transfers me to an actual telemarketer.]
Telemarketer: Hello...uh...Mr...uh...
[another awkward pause]
Telemarketer: I'm sorry, what's your name?
Me: Mr. Hippo...Mr. Augustine O. Hippo
Telemarketer (without missing a beat): Well, Mr. Hippo...I'm calling on behalf of...uh...
[3rd Awkward Pause]
Telemarketer: The Society for...uh...
Me: The Society of Uh? I've never heard of it.
Telemarketer: No...uh. I'm calling on behalf of the Society for the...uh...
[4th Awkward Pause]
Me: I do kind of like uh's. I mean, if you are going to make verbalisms, why not an uh?
[5th Awkward Pause]
Telemarketer: No...uh...
Me: I thought you were the Society for Uh's
Telemarketer One moment...(in a very hushed tone to someone off headset): Who do I work for again?
[Mumbling in the background]
Telemarketer: Oh yeah...I'm calling on behalf of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to...uh...children...NO! uh..."
[loud clicking sound as call is terminated]
Me: Uh...! And also with you!

They really should never send me rookies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time