Adventures in Scroll Sawing, part II

As I discussed in a previous post, I acquired a nice, older model scroll saw about a month ago. I have been enjoying it, as it is a really nice hobby to get into.

For my second major adventure, I ordered a book entitled Natural Wooden Toys. I had read a blurb about it in the December issue of Scroll Saw magazine, and I was intrigued about the discussion of natural dyes for children's toys. Not that I am some sort of hippie vegan, but I thought the concept was interesting. Seeing as I have a 2 1/2 year old, I thought it might be worth a look see.

In the book, there is also several chapters and patterns for easy to make animal toys for children. My daughter took one look at the pictures and said, "I want dees!" So, Daddy to the rescue. I got to practice my scroll sawing but also experiment a bit with these non-toxic natural dyes. I think the project turned out pretty well:


I was particularly fond of the squirrel, fox, and hedgehog:



I was informed today that my daughter now wants a Toby train engine to go with the Thomas engine I made her for Christmas. I guess that might be my next project. 


As much as she's enjoys it, I will be happy to make another.

I can do that.

Comments

T said…
Guess what Caed received for Christmas from an uncle? Creepy train!

Seriously, glad you mentioned the thing about the Thomas creator the other day on Facebook, or I'd have not handled it with as much grace internally.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time