Things You Can Learn in a Check Out Line

I was at the local grocery store on Saturday. I had to run and get a few items at the last minute, and it was quite busy in the store. Most of the check out lines had a queue of at least 3 or 4 people. I just got in one, thinking one was just as good as another.

After standing there for a few moments, I noticed there was a cashier in a line a few lines over that did not appear to have anyone in line. Her light was on and was looking around, trying to get the attention of some customer she could help.I walked over and put my few items on the counter.

The only difference between this cashier and any of the other cashiers was that she was wearing an Islamic head scarf. It was not a burqa, but it was a full Islamic head scarf. I had just come from a meeting, so I was wearing my full clerical collar and jacket. The cashier was very friendly and asked me how I was. I said I didn't know why no one was in her line, but I was not about to pass up a quick check out.

Without missing a beat, the cashier said with a twinkle in her eye, "Oh, I know why. No one wants to deal with a Muslim in a head scarf. I might be a terrorist or something."

I simply blinked. It had not even occurred to me that might have been the reason, though I am not surprised in the least. The Northern Plains is not exactly a bastion of multi-culturalism. I just said, "I'm sorry. These Christians shouldn't be behaving like that."

She just looked at me and said, "Oh, don't worry. I doubt they are even real Christians anyway..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time