Blast from the Past

My aunt Lori dug this photo out of some family vault. That's my grandfather, Jim, on the far left in the now trendy again Rayban sunglasses. My great grandmother, Mae, and my great grandfather, Ashby, are 3rd and 4th from the left. We are not exactly sure who the other two gentleman are. I am guessing this is circa early 1960s or late 1950's on a vacation probably to Florida.

 Jim died far too young from heart disease in 1986. Sadly, I only have a few memories of him. I wish I had known him better, as he sounded like a very talented man, many talents of which I apparently inherited from him. My mother claims I have a tendency to hold my head in a certain way when I am thinking that apparently Jim did. I certainly have him to thank for the red in my beard.

Ashby died shortly after I was born, and Mae died around 1989. I do remember Mae. I called her "GG" for 'Great Grandmother,' which I couldn't apparently pronounce when I was learning to talk. I am told Mae never took a shine to that, but it apparently stuck nonetheless.  Mae was a notoriously dreadful cook, the stories of which are still told in my family.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time