He has a point...

This article, as much as I hate to admit it, has a point. Boxing has done everything in its power to destroy itself, particularly with the Pay Per View fixation of all good fights. I'm a fan, and I would not even shell out $40+ for a premiere fight. I pay about a hundred for the whole Major League Baseball season on MLB.TV, but that is like literally all the games of all the teams for the whole season (minus the primetime in market games on the major networks).

Now, let me be clear. I abhor the whole MMA/UFC thing. It does not teach sportsmanship in any way. It is modified Mad Max "Two Men Enter, One Man Leave" garbage. But, as the article says, they do know how to market. Boxing, on the other hand, has completely missed an entire generation of potential fans by going exclusively to the PPV with the exception of the occasion ESPN boxing night with nobody boxers. I mean, it's like if the only real baseball that ever airs on TV is Class A minor league baseball. Yes, you can make money, but you are doing it on the backs of dedicated fans.

Once those fans are too old to pay anymore, you got real problems.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time