I feel like I need to respond to a bit of a blowup I had in the comments section of my previous blog entry (see below.) My only comment here would be that I stress being faithful to your historical liturgical roots. I tend to shy away from ecumenism if ecumenism tends to create one big incongruent blob of christian liturgy, or as I call it Naziturgy. I think in most branches of Christianity, there is an element of uniqueness in worshipping style that should be celebrated. If you are Anglo-catholic, say your high church mass with pride because its who you are. If you are a "warm your heart by the altar" Methodist, sing Rock of Ages to beat the band. If you are a Lutheran, boogie with A Mighty Fortress is Our God. If you are a happy, clappy evangelical, then go for it. For me, liturgy is the work of the people. If its what people want, then I am cool with it, for the most part (I draw the line at snake handling and "this little light of mine." I guess what this brings...
Comments
That was my favorite bit. Of course you realize, seminary monkey, that people become Episcopalians in very much the same way?
"You know, I always had good taste in decor, and thought, you know, maybe we each have a little god in each of us, and maybe we each have her truth. If only some church believed in a forcefield of love that could hold our pluriform truths together for a gospel of inclusivity, you know, I would choose that religion!"
Yeah, I'll bet lots of people think it, whether they say it or not.
(I'm doing laundry after midnight, none of this is my fault)