Reflections of the Big 3-0

As most of my friends and family know, I turned the big 3-0 this week. A lot of people have told me that turning 30 was a major milestone in their lives, or perhaps a very real sense of foreboding about turning 30.

I think this in part has to do with the folk that came of age in the 1960's that had a real mantra of "Don't trust anyone over 30." My generation did not really have that counter-cultural thing going as a rally cry, so I did not see turning 30 as such a big milestone in my life.

In some ways, I think I have behaved and identified as a 30-something for a while. Being a 20-something is largely a holding pattern between your college years and your life in your 30's as you settle into your professional and family life. Ironically, most older people I talked to said they would not be 30 again for anything.

Yes, you are a bit older, hopefully a bit wiser, but I think its a great time. I am looking forward to life as a 30-something.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time