Do-It-Yourself Altar Book


Last week when I was spending the day as a Fake Priest, several people commented on my "Altar Book." The Altar Book in question was basically homemade, with the help of the loose leaf Altar Book edition (title page seen above) that you can get from Church Publishing Corp., or other Episcopal Church bookstores.

The loose leaf nature allows you to put the packet into any 3-ring binder. I usually get the 3 ring binders that have the clear pockets in the front covers which allows you to stick syllabi or other artwork into the pockets.
Last Fall, when I was in Dublin, I visited the Book of Kells at Trinity College. I became somewhat fascinated with the geometric designs and began experimenting with the technique. The two doodles you see here I drew in lieu of paying attention in class in my free time , and inserted them into the cover of my DIY Altar Book.


A design similiar to the circle of men above caught my eye when I was looking that the Book of Kells because the men's beards were in fact used as the geometric, celtic design. I remember thinking at the time that I could probably draw something like that on my own. Turns out it makes a great back cover to a DIY Altar Book.


Voila! A Do-It-Yourself Altar Book...

Comments

Stephen Newell said…
Ah, welcome to the world of Celtic Christianity, brother. Interesting and beautiful, it be.

Are you Irish or Scottish? My family is Irish.

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the 'Connecticut 6'

The History of the Football helmet

Homily Notes for the 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time