Saturday, October 06, 2012

Chalk it up to Irreconcilable Differences (in dialect)

So, I was puttering in my garage and someone from the parish walks in. Hilarity ensued (actual pronunciations in italics; void where prohibited):

"Father, do you have an owl?"

"A what?"

"Yeah, you know, an owl?"

"Nooo...why are you hearing one?"

"No, a wood owl."

"Why would have a wooden owl? You got crows or something you want to scare off?"

"How would you scare crows off with an owl?"

"Then what would you need a wooden owl for? Decoration for Church school or something?"

"We talking about the same thing?"

"What other kind of hoot owl is there?"

"(laughs) No, no...an owl...the wood tool."


[awkward pause]

"You mean an awl?"

"All of what? No, I just need an owl. That thing right there in your tool box."

"Yeah, an awl. Just take it. Whatever."

2 comments:

Father Foodie said...

OH, this made me laugh. I've totally had these moments. Fun with regionalisms.

The Underground Pewster said...

That's a good one. It took me a while to figure out what the locals here meant by "cooter" (it means a turtle).